About Me

My Photo
Amongst other things, this is a love story.... the theme changes occasionally... this year it is fitness and learning to love yourself.

28 April 2015

X - eXonerated. #atozchallenge Care for the Carers

Two days after her 73rd birthday my Mum took her final breath. She had Alzheimers and Motor neurone disease. For her final 3 months I was her main carer. A privilege I am grateful for and will cherish forever. This years #atozchallenge theme will focus on being a carer / care-giver.


Remember to care for the carers.  

X - eXonerated 







So many of Mum's friends said they would never have guessed that it was me that would take on the role as her carer:

Me the black sheep.

Me who taught her how to swear.

Me who fought back and returned the key.

Me who greyed her hair.

Me who travelled far away.

Still they say I'm hard to understand. 

All the frustration, tears and pain I caused in the beginning 

eXonerated

by the love, support and care they witnessed in the end. 



***

I use #atozchallenge when sharing my favourite posts.

Like Reflex Reactions on Facebook

Follow @ReflexReactions on Twitter

Add me to your circles on Google+ 


***

Learn more about:

 The A to Z challenge here.

4 comments :

  1. Hi Ida - I'm so pleased for you ... you've declared it so well ... I never got that ... but from my mother and father's brother in law - I got their appreciation and the understanding of what I was doing for them - meant the world to me they told me ... and I have to understand the family still don't fully comprehend.

    Delighted for you and your X for exonerated is such a good X ... and I hope you're enjoying being home in Denmark for the summer and forever now .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Ida! the black sheep often turns out to be the angel ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you feel that way now. Most people have no idea what carers really achieve or what they can and do go through.

    Didn't realise you lived in Denmark. I enjoyed my visit there many years ago. Wonderful country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it's the child least expected who steps up and does the right thing.

    ReplyDelete

Enjoy